Peer-Reviewed Journal Details
Mandatory Fields
Connor, DJO,Lowery, AJ,Kearney, D,McAnena, OJ,Sweeney, KJ,Kerin, MJ
2015
September
Irish Journal Of Medical Science
Analysis of subsequent publication and impact of abstracts presented at the Sir Peter Freyer Surgical Symposium: Focus on the Plenary Session
Published
WOS: 2 ()
Optional Fields
Sir Peter Freyer Surgical Symposium Publication rate Plenary session FULL-TEXT PRESENTATIONS ASSOCIATION SURGERY RATES FATE ORTHOPEDICS SOCIETY
184
353
360
Background The quality of abstracts presented at a conference reflects the academic activity and research productivity of the surgical/scientific association concerned. The abstract to publication rate (44.5 % internationally), is an important indicator of the quality of presented research.Aim To evaluate the publication rate and impact of abstracts presented at the plenary session of the Sir Peter Freyer Surgical Symposium over a 25-year period (1989-2014), and identify factors influencing publication.Methods Plenary abstracts were identified from abstract books of the Symposium from 1989-2014. The authors, institution, subspecialty and research subject were recorded. A Medline search with name of the first and last author, key words and content of all abstracts was conducted to identify related publications. The impact factor (IF) of the journal and the time to publication was recorded.Results 298 presented abstracts resulted in 168 publications (publication rate: 56 %). Basic Science research accounted for 80 % (n = 237) of the total number of presentations with the remaining 20 % (n = 61) being categorised as clinical research. Overall, cancer research accounted for 48 % of presented work. The average time to publication was 2 +/- 7 years, while 11 % of all published studies achieved publication in the year of the symposium. The median impact factor for published research was 3.558 (IF range 0-39).Conclusion These results indicate that the quality of papers presented at the Sir Peter Freyer Surgical Symposium compares favourably with international equivalents, making this meeting an important forum for Irish Academic Surgery.
10.1007/s11845-015-1330-5
Grant Details
Publication Themes