Peer-Reviewed Journal Details
Mandatory Fields
Lin, CS;Ceburnis, D;Huang, RJ;Canonaco, F;Prevot, ASH;O'Dowd, C;Ovadnevaite, J
2019
February
Atmosphere
Summertime Aerosol over the West of Ireland Dominated by Secondary Aerosol during Long-Range Transport
Published
Altmetric: 2WOS: 1 ()
Optional Fields
CHEMICAL SPECIATION MONITOR SOURCE APPORTIONMENT AIR-POLLUTION ORGANIC AEROSOLS MULTILINEAR ENGINE SUBMICRON AEROSOLS HIGH-RESOLUTION HAZE EVENTS ACSM REGION
10
The chemical composition and sources of non-refractory submicron aerosol (NR-PM1) on Galway, a west coast city of Ireland, were characterized using an aerosol chemical speciation monitor during summertime in June 2016. Organic aerosol (OA) was found to be the major part of NR-PM1 (54%), followed by secondary inorganic sulfate (25%), ammonium (11%), and nitrate (10%). Factor analysis revealed that oxygenated OA (OOA) was the dominant OA factor, on average accounting for 84% of the total OA. The remaining 16% of OA was attributed to primary peat burning associated with domestic heating activities. As a result, secondary organic and inorganic aerosol together accounted for 91% of the total NR-PM1, pointing to an aged aerosol population originating from secondary formation during long-range transport. Concentration-weighted trajectory analysis indicated that these secondary aerosols were mainly associated with easterly long-range transport from the UK and/or France.
2073-4433
10.3390/atmos10020059
Grant Details
Publication Themes