This independent review was commissioned by the Department of Education and Skills (DES) in association with the Department of Social Protection (DSP), the Department of Children and Youth Affairs (DCYA) and the Higher
Education Authority (HEA). The remit was to:
* Examine existing data to identify the
trends in participation and completion rates by lone parents in Higher Education(HE), and identify measures to strengthen data collation on lone
parents in the future.
* Describe the range of measures that are currently available to support lone parents in accessing HE, including supports in the school and further education(FE)sectors.
* Identify obstacles and challenges for the various different categories of lone
parents in accessing and completing HE programmes.
* Recommend additional measures that would support the different categories of lone parents in accessing and completing HE programmes, and provide costings for those recommendations.
* Highlight potential models of ‘good practice’ in Ireland or elsewhere that could be considered for wider dissemination