Peer-Reviewed Journal Details
Mandatory Fields
Whyte, P,McGill, K,Cowley, D,Madden, RH,Moran, L,Scates, P,Carroll, C,O'Leary, A,Fanning, S,Collins, JD,McNamara, E,Moore, JE,Cormican, M
2004
September
International Journal Of Food Microbiology
Occurrence of Campylobacter in retail foods in Ireland
Published
()
Optional Fields
Campylobacter prevalence food contamination isolation THERMOPHILIC CAMPYLOBACTER YERSINIA-ENTEROCOLITICA LISTERIA-MONOCYTOGENES NORTHERN-IRELAND JEJUNI SALMONELLA MEAT PREVALENCE POULTRY SPP.
95
111
118
A surveillance study was carried out to determine the prevalence of Campylobacter in a range of retail foods purchased in three Irish cities over a 20-month period between March 2001 and October 2002. In total 2391 food samples were analysed during this period. Campylobacter was isolated from 444 raw chicken (49.9%), 33 turkey (37.5%) and 11 duck samples (45.8%). Lower isolation rates of 7/221 (3.2%), 10/197 (5.1%) and 31/262 (11.8%) were observed for raw beef, pork and lamb, respectively. One sample of pork pate from 120 samples analysed (0.8%) was Campylobacter-positive. A total of three shellfish samples (oysters) from 129 raw specimens examined (2.3%) were found to contain Campylobacter. Low prevalences of the organism (0.9%) were also isolated from fresh mushrooms. Of 62 raw bulk tank milk samples analysed, Campylobacter was recovered in a single sample (1.6%). Campylobacter was not detected in any of the comminuted pork puddings, prepared vegetables and salads, retail sandwiches or cheeses made from unpasteurised milk. In total, 543 Campylobacter were isolated from all of the food samples analysed, of which 453 (83.4%) were confirmed as Campylobacter jejuni and the remaining 90 (16.6%) as Campylobacter coli. (C) 2004 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
DOI 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2003.10.018
Grant Details
Publication Themes